What's Next for
- The Town does not own Shadow Pines yet. The closing of the purchase agreement with the current owner, Oldcastle-Dolomite is in April, but no specific date has been announced so far.
- Shadow Pines is still posted for no trespassing by the current owners.
- After the purchase of Shadow Pines is completed, the Town may need some additional time to remove various hazards from the grounds before opening Shadow Pines for public access.
- Save Shadow Pines has written to Supervisor Tony LaFountain with an offer to organize a "spring cleaning" of Shadow Pines to clear out any refuse and downed branches, etc. We haven't received any response yet.
- Save Shadow Pines plans to stay engaged to ensure good stewardship of this jewel of Penfield!
- The Town of Penfield plans to eventually convene a citizens committee to recommend possible future Town uses for Shadow Pines. The timing is unclear, but it looks like the committee might not be created before 2019. In the meantime, and hopefully forever, Shadow Pines serves an extremely useful purpose as natural open space.
- We have heard there are parties interested in leasing or purchasing the Clark House to restore it as a restaurant. We prefer that the Town maintain ownership of this historic site and carefully examine its options. If leased to a restaurant operator, the Clark House, and perhaps the other Shadow Pines buildings, would contribute a revenue stream that could be applied towards maintenance and improvements for the buildings and for all of Shadow Pines.
- More news and details to come!